Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Will you make art or gas?

I've been working on a web system for almost a year now to help filmmakers get paid for their efforts even with a short film.

There is a way but when I try to explain it most people look at me cross eyed with a false ego based knowing that tells me I'm talking to a sheep. Bleet, bleet.

They all want the theatrical release for their $5000 budget film. and can't see that that will never happen.
The film world doesn't want your film.
Sorry to break it to you but you've been duped. Just like thinking if you go to college you'll make more money, then you go to work for someone that owns a company that never went to college. Yeah that system is well advertised too.

I am almost ready to throw in the towel and just do it for myself like everyone else does, almost.
But that wouldn't fit with my ethics. Which to me is doing what is the greatest good for the most.
Even if it leaves me out.
I've been at this for some time now, almost a year and have been running into the same attitude from people everywhere. They can't see into the future beyond their own ego and wallet.

I don't care what they do anymore. I know my conscience is clean, and my ethics are what drive me for the vision I am going for.
Still it does bother me to see all the people I try to help so easily led astray.
People with short films excited to be getting a free screening when they could be making money from their art.

The film industry here is full of ego driven people with no real vision. little support for art. Lots of critics.

I don't think very much of critics. If you want to criticize a film, make sure you can show a film YOU MADE that was better and give examples of what you did in your masterpiece, and let me see it.

Or shut up. Your opinion is only so much gas wasted in the atmosphere.

Go make something and stop criticizing.

Art is alive and free and moving to the one who experiences it.

Cowards make copies of past successes. An artist has the tenacity to go against the grain and do something great.

Make art or make gas, eventually we will all smell the difference.

No comments: